With his best ever crop being presented at
this years Adelaide Magic Millions Yearling Sale you couldnt blame Henry Vogel
to be a bit edgy in the next three weeks.
Two years of planning for the owner of Gawler Park Stud go
on the line during a three day selling frenzy at Morphettville.
Less than ten years ago Vogel didnt even have a
thought of breeding thoroughbreds. And we have Lindsay Parks current head trainer
Tony McEvoy to thank for that.
McEvoy, the then foreman at Lindsay Park, had asked Vogel
what he was going to do with the land he purchased a stones throw from the Hayes
famous training and breeding establishment.
Alpacas. That was what Vogel was looking at. Thinking back
now and thank goodness McEvoy got into his ear telling him he was crazy. After McEvoy
explained the land was perfect for breeding racehorse Vogel was left with another option.
Since that decision theres been no looking back for
Vogel. In a few weeks time the virtual rookie breeder will offer a draft that most
properties would be proud of.
Gawler Park Stud will be offering 24 yearlings in Adelaide
23 of Vogels homebreds and a Soviet Lad colt for a client.
Nina Haraka must be the two best words Vogel ever heard. It
was this bonny chestnut filly who has helped shape Gawler Park as one of the
countrys most exciting breeding operations. She was a member of Vogels first
ever crop at the sales and she went on to be a Group One performer and Group winner.
This year Vogel will be offering the full sister to Nina
Haraka to buyers. A daughter of the Caulfield Cup winner Fraar, she is out of the lightly
raced Zephyr Bay mare La Nebbia.
After creating an Adelaide record with her Rorys
Jester filly in 2000, La Nebbia will be looking to deliver the goods again with September
Among the remainder of his crop are yearlings by either
proven or exciting stallions Thunder Gulch, Torrential, Jeune, Rorys Jester, End
Sweep, Honour and Glory, Hennessy, Royal Academy, Woodman, Perugino, Anabaa, Geiger
Counter, Red Ransom and Spinning World.
As well as offering a full sister to Nina Haraka
Vogels 2002 Adelaide draft includes:
- Thunder Gulch filly from Group placed Poetique.
- Half brother to Group performer Hello Boys by Torrential.
- A Red Ransom colt who is closely related to At Talaq.
- An End Sweep filly out of the eight time winning mare
- Half brother to stakes placed two-year-old Hydrometer by
- Bay filly by Anabaa out of a half sister to dual G1 winner
- Half brother to Auction Action from the stakes winner
Claytons Bid by Danzigs unbeaten son Perugino.
- Half sister to Exclusive Halo, Miss Jugah and Jewel of
Oakbank by Woodman from Exclusive Heiress.
- End Sweep filly out of Jewel of Oakbank.
- Three quarter brother to dual G1 winner Chortle.
- Hennessy colt from Toltrices stakes winning daughter
Lady of Renown.